Presented the work I had done with Groundviews to a group of activists from South Asia recently, noting that using social media platforms on the web, combined with mobiles, it is increasingly possible to bear witness to and report on inconvenient truths, no matter what the timbre of government. I also flagged that in contexts where mainstream media, for whatever reason, where unable and unwilling to report on issues like war crimes, graft and corruption by those in power and gross human rights abuses, citizen journalism offered new avenues to highlight these issues. I also noted that many NGOs / CSOs and activists in the region, fearless to get on to the streets, were also largely ignorant of and resistant to the potential of new media to strengthen their personal and institutional advocacy and activism. This I said needed to change, and provided examples where the more creative use of web based media, through Groundviews, generated eyeballs and attention on places, actors, issues, processes and events that would otherwise have gone unnoticed, or violently erased.
The thoughts and ideas herein are my own and do not, in any way, unless expressly noted, represent the views of any organisation I am affiliated with, including, but not limited to the ICT4Peace Foundation and the Centre for Policy Alternatives.
- Identifying & combatting Fake News: A primer
- Corridors of Power: Constitutional Power and Architecture
- Fake news in Myanmar: Social Media verification workshop
- President, PM, Parliament, MFA, Cabinet, Central Bank & News.lk: Searching via Google
- Department of Government Printing: Searching via Google
- RT @UN_CTED: In @UN #CTC meeting, @Telefonica representative underlines that security & privacy shd not be mutually exclusive when counteri… 3 days ago
- RT @UN_CTED: .@kaspersky briefs @UN #CounterTerrorism Committee on the risk of #cyber #attacks against #criticalinfrastructure https://t.co… 3 days ago
- RT @UN_CTED: In #CTC mtng, @ict4peace stresses need to strengthen dialogue & build trust betw/ private sector actors, States & @UN to #coun… 3 days ago
- RT @UN_CTED: .@Microsoft Dep Gen Counsel briefs @UN #SecurityCouncil #CTC on need 4 partnerships 2 prevent #terrorists abusing ICT https://… 3 days ago
- RT @UN_CTED: .@facebook reminds @UN #CTC that anybody can flag suspected breach of its community guidelines, incl. re: #terrorism https://t… 3 days ago