Presented the work I had done with Groundviews to a group of activists from South Asia recently, noting that using social media platforms on the web, combined with mobiles, it is increasingly possible to bear witness to and report on inconvenient truths, no matter what the timbre of government. I also flagged that in contexts where mainstream media, for whatever reason, where unable and unwilling to report on issues like war crimes, graft and corruption by those in power and gross human rights abuses, citizen journalism offered new avenues to highlight these issues. I also noted that many NGOs / CSOs and activists in the region, fearless to get on to the streets, were also largely ignorant of and resistant to the potential of new media to strengthen their personal and institutional advocacy and activism. This I said needed to change, and provided examples where the more creative use of web based media, through Groundviews, generated eyeballs and attention on places, actors, issues, processes and events that would otherwise have gone unnoticed, or violently erased.
The thoughts and ideas herein are my own and do not, in any way, unless expressly noted, represent the views of any organisation I am affiliated with, including, but not limited to the ICT4Peace Foundation and the Centre for Policy Alternatives.
- Fake news in Myanmar: Social Media verification workshop
- President, PM, Parliament, MFA, Cabinet, Central Bank & News.lk: Searching via Google
- Department of Government Printing: Searching via Google
- Drone journalism in Sri Lanka: Footage and key examples
- Digital transformation and the role of civil society in Sri Lanka
- RT @Gdnartanddesign: Google's satellite timelapses show the inconvenient truth about our planet d.gu.com/MppSH0 38 minutes ago
- RT @sanjanah: Looking forward to conversation w/ @JoshuaOppenheim on @lookofsilence as part of Zurich Human Rights Film Festival. Film is b… 1 hour ago
- #UN Press Briefing with #UNCTED, #ICT4Peace & International Association of Prosecutors ict4peace.org/un-press-brief… #PVE #StopICTterrorism 12 hours ago
- Deadline Extended - #newmedia Course: Tools & Techniques for Civilian #Crisis Management us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=e58ea7be12f…… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @UN_CTED: L'Ambassadeur Stauffacher de la fondation @ict4peace interviewé par @Radio_ONU sur les défis et comment arriver à #StopICTterr… 1 day ago