Created a new Google custom search engine (after the reception to the first made yesterday) covering key government websites.
Access it here.
The search engine indexes everything on:
- President’s Media Division – http://www.pmdnews.lk
- Official Website of the President – http://www.president.gov.lk
- Presidential Secretariat – http://www.presidentsoffice.gov.lk
- President’s Fund – http://www.presidentsfund.gov.lk
- President’s Wikipedia entry –
- PM’s Wikipedia entry – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranil_Wickremesinghe
- PM’s Office – http://www.pmoffice.gov.lk
- Cabinet Office – http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.lk
- Parliament of Sri Lanka – http://www.parliament.lk
- Official Web Portal of the Government of Sri Lanka – https://www.gov.lk/welcome.html
- News.lk (official news portal) – http://www.news.lk
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka – http://www.cbsl.gov.lk
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs – http://www.mfa.gov.lk
Whereas the reason for creating the custom search engine for the Government Printing Department was the fact that the search functionality on that site was dodgy at best, here it is because, for example, the President of Sri Lanka has no less than four official websites. These four have content updated at different intervals, covering different issues – what’s on one, isn’t what’s on the others. This was brought into sharp focus when after the President’s speech to the UN General Assembly, three different versions of the speech were on three different official websites.
The custom search engine also searches all the images on these sites. It will benefit journalists and researchers the most, and others including the diplomatic community who want to search through the myriad of PRs, speeches, statements, announcements, reports and other material in Sinhala, Tamil and English. The custom search engine also searches within PDFs.